Friday, March 26, 2010

Gummy Worms, Stickers and Lolly Pops.

I know this may make me sound like some sort of freak. But I am going to tell you all this little known fact about myself! My favorite age to draw blood from is without a doubt 7-11!!! Please don't think I am some of weird-o that enjoys sticking needles into children for no good reason. There is a reason behind my need to puncture their skin. Blood is needed to allow the Dr to know how make them feel better. This a little mind game we play as Phlebotomisits, it makes coming to work and making children cry a lot easier to swallow. You see we are helping them not hurting them.

So why is this select age my favorite? They are the most curious about what I am doing. They can be involved. Most of them think it is pretty cool to see their blood fill the tubes. They try so hard to be brave. Yet they still want mom and dad to be close by. They are still willing to let a Lolly Pop make us friends again. In their eyes a Princess or Spider Man sticker is a piece offering.

When I have a patient of this age group I love to let them help me. Don't go getting all excited...I never let them handle the needle. But I love to explain everything I am doing as I do it. They think I have the coolest job in the world. Please keep in mind this post is about most of them, some are going to hate every minute no matter what we do!

I tell them I want to look at their muscles as I am tying he tourniquet on. I them tell them I am going to look for a gummy work in their arm. Then once I have found a good one I let them feel it!!! They love to feel the bounce! I understand they are not feeling the same thing I am. But I would never tell them that! Then we talk about the poke..."it is like a really big mosquito bite!" Then I do the stick and when the blood fills the tubes they get excited. I love when they are a little bit nervous then feel a burst of confidence, roll their eyes and say "That did not even hurt!"

Believe me I know for a fact that not all kids of this age are like this. I have had my fair share of WWF wrestling matches in the draw room. However this age is my favorite because for the most part they just fun!

Don't get me wrong I love all my patients! Some more than others and some very little. But there is always some amount of love. Like for some I LOVE when they leave! :)

I love the babies because they are just sweet and darling. I love preschoolers because they need mom and dad so much. And they are some of the bravest humans on the planet. I love the Teenagers because they want to be so tough. Yet a large number of them pass out and leave in wheelchair!! This is mostly the boys and I figure it is good for their ego's! I love my middle aged patients because they seem to have the most interesting and busy lives. I LOVE my elderly patients almost as much as the little ones. These guys have lived so many years and are full of stories!! They will tell you the funniest things and never forget you! I love to see them at the store and have them remember me. It makes me feel special that of all the things they have stored in their heads they have found a spot for me! The elderly are for sure some of the COOLEST people I know!

I guess I just wanted you all to know that I love my job! I don't know of many jobs that allow you to inflict pain, charge for it, and have a large clientele to boot!!! Life is good! And my job is FUN! And Gummy Worms, Stickers and Lolly Pops just make the world a better place!

4 comments:

  1. You'd better love your job, because you're THE BEST at it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol I love your blog!!!!! I am so happy you love your job!!! yay you :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! That just made me think of every phlebotomist from here out differently. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry if you get sick of hearing this... I love your stories! I love your writing style. And I love you!

    ReplyDelete