Monday, January 4, 2010

I will not say you are incompetent, but I will think it!

So as of late I have had a really hard time with my job. I love my patients and most of my co-workers. But I have a noticed I have really hard time getting there. Not that I am ever late or anything like that. Please what do you take me for??? However I am not excited in the least to be clocked in for the next 10.5 hours. And once I am ready to work I feel the need for an attitude adjustment rather quickly. I know there are a number of reasons why I feel this way. And while these are not the reason for this post I will mention just a few. We are always getting more added to our plate and never anything removed, we are spread so thin that we are almost see through, We are asked to 70-80 patients a day and not allow our wait time to get out of hand, my boss is totally lame, every patient seems to have some place to be 5 minutes ago and this is somehow our fault, and everyone needs us "right this minute" We are only 2 girls trying to do the very best we can. So a little slack in the line would be much appreciated.

But even on days that are totally nuts and I want to throw in the towel. I know there will be a moment that will make it all worth it. The key is just getting there. Well today I was so embarrassed but this "Moment" that I thought I needed to share it!

So for those who don't know I draw blood all day long. My "draw room" was once a hallway and therefor is rather cramped and can get tricky from time to time. Staff from all the offices and patients are always passing through. Today was one of those times. Carrie and I were totally swamped and I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown. I took a patient in to my "draw room" and proceeded to find a vein, gather my supplies, tie the tourniquet, wipe the area with an alcohol wipe and stick the needle ever so smoothly into his skin. He began to get nervous when there was no sight of blood, but regained his composure when the red liquid began to fill the tube. I was making small talk and trying to pass the time while I gathered the sample. It came time to release the tourniquet and withdraw the needle when it hit me like a ton of bricks...I was completely alone in "draw room" not a soul was to be seen or heard and I could not find my cotton ball. All I could think was it must have fallen on the floor. I was looking around rather nervously because without the cotton ball the needle would be stying in my patients arm. He asked what he could do to help, what he could hold so I could reach the cotton ball container. Which happened to be across the room. But you see I could not just turn my needle over to this patient or any patient for that matter. So I just stood there mind racing trying to come up with a solution. Then I heard Suzanne talking in the other room. So I did what any of you would have done and I yelled for help. "Uh...Suzanne? Could you help me out and give me a cotton ball?" She came to my rescue very helpful and full of snide remarks..."I will not say you are incompetent. But I will think it."( You would have to know her but I know this was said with love.) Well I guess I had that coming! Because as I removed the needle and finished the draw I felt something In my hand...you guessed it the cotton ball I was sure I had dropped. It was there all the time and I had freaked this poor man out for no reason. I am pretty sure I have not felt that stupid in a really long time. I decided there was no need to do damage control because this patient would most likely make another trip before having me draw his blood again! So I simply apologized and sent him on his way.

I think I need a paid vacation or some sort of drug. And preferably before I get an all inclusive trip to the BHU!

I think I will be using those words a lot. I have a list of a few people it would give me great pleasur to say "I will not say you are incompetent, but I will think it!" I can see that as a stress releiver for sure. So today I am thankful for small areas, to many patients and co-workers who make coming to work worth it!

3 comments:

  1. Hee Hee!!! That's a great thought! I just might have to borrow that one a time or two. Because it's a (kinda) nice way to say what most of the time we are actually thinking!!!!! But I have never thought that about you!! You're too great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol Aubrey I love how positive you are no matter what happens!! you are so awesome and amazing!!! I hope life and work gets less crazy and stressful for you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just remember to say that quote with love as it was said to you when talking to me. (When talking to everyone else, say it with whatever feeling you want behind it!!Haha! Great quote!)

    ReplyDelete