Friday, January 22, 2010

I feel somewhat like ROADKILL...

So before I started this post there were a few things I needed. Not a couple things I could really go for at the moment. These are serious NEEDS! I needed some good old fashioned Sunshine, so I opened the blinds. OK there is not much Sunshine to be found out there today, however having the blinds open is better than nothing. Next NEED was an Ice Cold Diet Coke! It is somewhat disturbing to me the amount of comfort I can find within that tin can! The cracking sound that means happiness is only seconds away is music to me ears! Next NEED was some good music playing in the background. So I hit play on the New Carrie Underwood Cd. She seems to know what my life is like.

OK now I am ready to get a few things off my chest! Brace yourselves folks this may not be all Rainbows and Ponies!

I know everyone has driven past Roadkill in their day. Not a pretty sight in the least. But lets take a minute to think about that poor dead animal. Lets say it was a deer. The poor thing has decided to do something scary and cross the road. They gave their all. And in the last moment it was all over. Now it is laying there in the open for everyone to look at as they past. And that is not the worst part. Now the poor thing will be picked apart by anything that wants a piece! Then wait to be picked up off the road and no longer on display for all passersby!

OK so I am sure you are wondering what in the heck I am talking about! Well I will tell you...

Over a year ago I applied for the Phlebotomy Supervisor position. I was not chosen for the job. However before I was told the news, I was told how perfect I was for the job. How I was just what they were looking for. BUT... Not perfect enough I guess! Instead the job went a Man we called Captain. And that was not all I was told. But that in addition my help was needed in training him. He was not easy to work with. It was a really long year and most of the team is not in a good place. Well he resigned last week so the position was now open again...

I was not sure I wanted to go through that all over again. The interview process was grueling and not really something I was looking forward to repeating. I did a lot of soul searching, talking to others and giving into the request from many people that I apply again. So I hit send on the computer and waited...

I was told there would be a 2 part interview process this time. A group interview and then an individual interview. Well that sounds like a lot of fun right? NO not at all. I was also told I needed to have a presentation ready for the group interview. This keeps getting better and better. What else can we do?!?!

There were 3 of us that are in the running for the position and we are all friends. But now we are in the competition. And I for one hated it. I know we could all do a good job in the position and anything is better than the last supervisor we had. But I would not be trying if I did not want it. So I tried to put on my poker face and charm the panel. I felt like I did a great job in the group interview. I walked out feeling good about my presentation and that meant going into the individual would be easier now...I hoped.

I was first to do the second interview, I had about 5 minutes to regroup and get my thoughts together. Then it was show time. I was nervous at best. It is really hard to interview for people you know. These people all know me on many different levels. The questions were hard, 2 and sometimes 3 parts to each one. But I did the very best I could. I had an answer for each question that was thrown my way. There were lots of notes being taken and heads nodding in agreement. Or at least that is why I like to think they were nodding. Then it was all over, I had presented myself to the people who would be making this decision. I felt good, sick, relieved, stressed, happy, nauseous, and nervous all at the same time. Just so you are aware this is a hard way to be feeling.

And now we just wait. And wait. And wait. I keep checking my email, have my phone nearby and nerves all in a funk. I keep thinking in the next hour I will hear something, anything. But no, nothing so far. I truly believe any one of the candidates are capable of doing the job and doing it well. But who am i trying to kid...I want the job. And I KNOW I will do a great job. I just hope they feel the same way!

So you see I feel like ROADKILL... I did something really scary. I gave my all. And now I am just out there wide open for everyone to pick apart. And there is nothing more I can do about it. But wait for somebody to give me the news that I am no longer on display!

3 comments:

  1. Aubery, I think that you are an amazing woman!!! I wish you nothing but good luck and happiness and I hope you get the job too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would totally hire you! Sorry about the roadkill feeling... but you're the cutest roadkill I've ever seen! Love you lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh!! You are hilarious!! I seriously read your blog to laugh my head off! That is quite the image you painted there, but you know you are dead on! Haha! I would just add to that the punk early twenties guy who has to show off to his date for the evening by running over the carcass with his jacked up pick up truck! But I think that is what happened to you last time, not this time! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete