Thursday, June 10, 2010

They are brimming...

You know those days when it might have been better to just crawl back under the blankets and wait for the next 6:30 am to come around??? Well that was my day today. It was not all bad I did meet the sweetest little man that offered to reimburse me for making a phone call to his Dr office in New York. There were the darling newborns I got to look at while getting a sample of blood from their foot. These are cute little people and I often don't mind getting the blood drop by drop. That only means I get to look longer. There was a BBQ with some old friends and that is always fun!! Good Co-workers that are willing to help me come up with a solution. And people being willing to go with less sleep in order to help out!

But laying those things aside for a moment to take an inventory of the day...Pretty much was LAME! We were super slammed busy in IM , patients think you can not hear them talking about how long they are waiting, veins were staying as far from my needle as possible, People were sick, shifts needed to be covered, emails keep piling up, more and more things are still waiting for my attention, I tried to curl my hair it only looked worse...I could keep going but you get the idea.

Well the final straw hit late this evening. I got a call saying that yet another shift needed to be covered. I was not sure what to do and crying was not an option. So I went into work to see if I could work something out. And there in Microbiology right next to the incubator filled bodily fluids ready for Culture...I lost it!

I am not proud of this for one minute. However I will say this; the tears never left my eyes, they never hit my cheek or fell to the floor. But they were there and they were brimming! I know it was nothing to do with this particular shift that made me loose my mind. But rather ALL of it combined in a pretty little package! I just hope it comes with a pink bow next time!

Meltdowns can be tricky. They will sneak up on you. They give very little warning and have no respect for appropriate timing! So if they are going to happen to you make sure you are in a safe place! For me that safe place was in Micro next to the the Incubator!!! And the company I had while in Micro was the best I could have asked for! Even if they did have to witness the brimming! But please for the love of all that is good in the world: NEVER open the incubator when somebody is having a melt down! That has the potential to send the semi-unstable person straight to the BHU!

1 comment:

  1. You have the best way of explaining how things are: "Meltdowns can be tricky..." That whole explanation. I want to frame it and hang it in my house!

    ReplyDelete