Friday, April 9, 2010

What made that a good idea in your head??

There are things about my "Just another day at the office" that are strange by definition. The people I meet and the things I see are always entertaining. And often down right disturbing. There are times when I shake my head and sit in wonder and Awe. Wondering how so many people make it to adulthood without major harm to themselves. There are so many strange people out there. And sure they are nice and all. However I often find myself thinking..."What made that a good idea in your head?"

You see there are a few things that you should just think about before you do. I know that in my line of work I will on a daily basis hold in my hand multiple bodily fluids. I am totally fine with this. In fact it does not bother me in the least. There are words that are in my everyday vocabulary that are not in most peoples. Like urine, stool, blood, serum, sputum...the list could go on and on. But to keep you form dry heaving and not see this post out to the end I will assume you get the idea.

So just because I am totally fine with said items. That does not mean I want them handed across the counter and into my FACE!!! This is why I say people need to think before they do. What in the world would make a person think I (or any lab person) would enjoy their specimen to be inches form our face. Not to mention the large red signs all over the counter that read "Do not place specimens on the counter." I know that most people just want to do the hand off as quick as possible. And if eye contact could be avoided that would be even better. But you see we must follow the rules and do things according to protocol. So shoving your samples into our faces is not going to make this interaction we are about to have any less awkward. We are here for you and would love to help you with ANY sample you bring us. All we ask is that we are able to take care of it with our hands and not our face.

I had an experience the other day that is now very near the top of my "Why is this happening?" list. I am talking about those experiences we all have that make us look around for the cameras. And raise our eyebrows ever so slightly. I seem to have a lot of these experiences and there is never a camera to be found.

So there I was doing a Bilirubin test on a sweet newborn. He was doing a great job of filling the air with screaming. While his parents were in their own little world. Let me first tell you a little about the parents. They were rocker's of sorts. Mom was looking like she had just had a baby tired and hapy. But dad...He was wearing SKINNY JEANS!!! For those who don't know this about me...Skinny Jeans freak me right out. Well while I was allowing the blood fill my tube. Dad decided this was a great time to serenade his wife. I am not kidding folks! I can't make this stuff up. He was dancing, singing and caressing her face. It was like my own private concert. I wanted so badly to say "Don't mind me." But instead I was in such shock that I said nothing. I simple finished my draw and sent them on their way.

You see friends there are some things that should be thought through. I remember these little things that I think are totally strange. Then I wonder how many times I have been on the other end and made my way to the top of somebodies "Why is this happening" list. Life is good and the awkward and even annoying moments make it that much better!!

5 comments:

  1. HAHAHA! That's the weirdest thing ever in my life! Have I ever told you how wonderful you are at story telling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thanks Linds!!! I am glad you are not bored to tears when reading my Blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!!! I would love to have been a fly on that wall, I hope the rocker dad had a good voice!!!!
    thanks for sharing,I love your blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to tell you this! I thought of you today and your "specimen in the face" pet peeve. I was dropping off a "gooey sample" for my son. I walked up to the counter thinking, "Aubrey hates it when you put the sample in her face!" so I was doing my very best to be very cautious about it. The receptionist was... well, interesting. She didn't even look at the order or the cup in my hand, she just took my phone number, asked if I still had Select Med Plus and I told her "No", and then thought while she took our current insurance card, "We haven't had that plan forever. I don't think Ethan even existed when we had that. Why would it be under his name?" She never verified who the order was for and told me to have seat, that it would be awhile because there were quite a few people ahead of me. I looked at the cup full of yuckiness and then looked at her and said, "Ummm, can I just leave this? Or do you really need me for something else?" She looked at me like I was bothering her and said, "What was your number again?" I told her. Then she said, "For Linsey?" I said, "No, for Ethan." THEN she looked at the order and said, "Oh. Well, this phone number doesn't pull that name up." Then she just sat there and stared at me. So I said, "Well, it may be under an old or different number." She said, "Okay." So I tried my hubby's cell. She said, "For Benjamin?" I said, "No. That's my husband." I waited for her expecting her to get ready to ask for another possiblity, but she just sat there looking at the order. So I gave her our old home number that we had when he was born. Then she said, "Oh okay, just a sec" and clicked all over the computer and then said, "Okay. Here's an Ethan." I was still a litte worried she had the same kid because she asked for no other verification information. I'm thinking, "Seriously, lady. What's the deal? Is this your first day on the job or something?" Then a lab tech came out and the lady said to the tech, "Um, here's this. Do you need anything else? What do I need to do?" I got home and told my husband about it and he's like, "Oh! Yes, please. How about an order of fries and a drink. And while you're at it, a cure for cancer." lol

    It's not often I have crazy people stories, but maybe there is just something about a lab. Just thought I'd share because it made me think of you. :) Love ya, Aubs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Thanks Lins! People are freaks for sure! Good story!

    ReplyDelete