Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I am going to tell you a seceret...

The tourniquet is supposed to squeeze your arm! I know you are all shocked and awed by this secret. But please know that the general public is amazed by this fact. But in an entirely different way! I can not tell you how many times in my 10 hour shift I hear something along these lines... "Wow that is tight." "Is that supposed to be so snug?" "Ouch that really hurts." "That is really pinching my arm!" I just want to look at them and say "Really? That means it is working."

Let me give you a small lesson on tourniquet use.

A tourniquet is a rubber band (for lack of a better term). I being the phlebotomist will tie this strip of rubber around you arm. It will most likely not feel like something you want to wear everyday or for a long period of time. However the 1-5 Min's it will be on your arm will not kill you. I promise you, it won't. And can you even imagine how embarrassed you would be on the other side. And for your response to the "How did you die" question to be "A Tourniquet!" Come on buck up Little Camper!

OK moving on.

Once I have palpated and found a juicy vein. This vein being juicy because the tourniquet is pooling the blood. So when I pierce said vein with a needle it will have some blood to suck out! You see even though the tourniquet is not something you want to add as an accessory to your outfit for the day. It really is your friend and is only there to help you out! Because trying to get blood out a dry vein is not fun for anybody. It is something like trying to get the last bit of honey out of that bear shaped bottle. It is slow coming and can be painful! So my friends next time that rubber band is causing you a bit of pain. Just remember it is really your friend! And remember if it is hurting...it is working!

Become one with your tourniquet. And please stop telling me it tight. You see I know...I tied it!

3 comments:

  1. LOL!!!!! Aubrey you're awesome and extremely funny!!! You brighten my week!!
    love and prayers for you sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahahahaha! All I can think of at this moment is a big, juicy worm, ready to be skewered by a fish hook!...Do they make worm sized tourniquets?

    ReplyDelete